[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: dbconfig-common Problems

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Sun Jul 31 17:45:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, sean finney wrote:

> it would be nice to have a way to let dbconfig-common automatically
> add some kind of information to postgresql-server's configuration so
> that manual intervention woulddn't be necessary.  i really don't
> want to arbitrarily mess with important postgres configuration files
> though, hence a dilemma.
In my suggestion to copy with this dilemma I tried to be as least
invasive as possible by just using the list of databases and users
to move the relevant files which should be configured to dbconfig-common
while introducing a single line to postgresql.  If the lists are
empty the change is in fact zero (if I'm not completely wrong.

> however, i think martin pitt has been considering making changes to the
> default postgres configuraiton to allow passwords by default, which
> would make this all moot.
This would be an interesting change.

> in the meantime, it should at least give informative error messages
> when a method fails; perhaps it should suggest to try connecting
> with another message when it does?
This should be the minimum change we should do in any way.  If you
ask me I would prefer my suggestion - but perhaps we should discuss
this also with the posthresql people. (Do they follow this list?)

Kind regards

            Andreas.

PS: I would prefer if SVN changes would go to a separate list because
     I'm afraid I would miss some piece of discussion in the SVN changes
     noise.

--
http://fam-tille.de