[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: dbconfig-common Problems

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Sun Jul 31 08:20:13 UTC 2005

hey andreas,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:05:28PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On the other hand this does not really change something regarding to
> the fact that I think something should be changed in dbconfig-common
> if password authentication *would be* needed.

it would be nice to have a way to let dbconfig-common automatically
add some kind of information to postgresql-server's configuration so
that manual intervention woulddn't be necessary.  i really don't
want to arbitrarily mess with important postgres configuration files
though, hence a dilemma.

however, i think martin pitt has been considering making changes to the
default postgres configuraiton to allow passwords by default, which
would make this all moot.

in the meantime, it should at least give informative error messages
when a method fails; perhaps it should suggest to try connecting
with another message when it does?

	sean