[Dbconfig-common-devel] oracle.

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Tue Nov 15 13:24:17 UTC 2005

hi miguel,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:10:33PM +0100, Miguel Gea Milvaques wrote:
> 0.- Which environment variables are needed? This is my environment
> oracle related settings:
>
> ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle/oracle
> ORACLE_SID=orcl
> ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
> ORACLE_SID=orcl
> ORACLE_TERM=xterm
> ORACLE_OWNER=oracle
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${ORACLE_HOME}/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1

would we need to determine these settings, or are they already
stored somewhere where we could just source it?  otherwise i think
we should require that said settings are stored in a config file.

> 1.- How to create the database (PARTIALLY SOLVED):
>          Here there are the first problem.
>          There are two different forms to create the database, manually
>          and with a database assistant (dbca). In both cases, the
>          database hast to be created *locally*. It could be done with
>          ssh... but I don't think it could be a good idea.

i would say that if it is entirely impossible to create a database
remotely, it should be outside of the scope of dbconfig-common,
and the admin should just get a scary warning telling them they
have to do so.  if you like, i have a dba friend who knows oracle
and i could ask him if he had any better suggestions.

> 2.- How to create/grant new users (SOLVED)?
> 	There are three indentification methods in oracle (local,
>         external and global). Permissions could be granted and users
>         must to be unlocked.

seems that there are a few ways of doing this.  while i don't know
oracle well enough to comment on the various methods, how identification
is currently handled in the pgsql code might serve as a good idea of how
it could work in oracle (though this would be a bit more complicated)

> 3.- How to populate the database or execute any sql command (SOLVED):
>         $ sqlplus scott/x at orcl  @tables-oracle.sql

is x at orcl the password?

> 7.- How to prepare the package? Oracle is a non free software but I
> think as oracle is optional, it don't need to go to contrib.

yes, dbc would be able to stay in main, as it's merely support for
extra software and not a dependency on said software.  as far as
packaging goes, i would say that the install of dbc should not be any
different for normal users, but perhaps a bit of code can be inserted
to detect oracle installations.  then, if a package supporting oracle
tells dbc it supports oracle via dbc_dbtype/s, this code is invoked.
if we also have to do any global configuration for oracle, it could be
executed at this time as well.

	sean