[Dbconfig-common-devel] install-purge-reinstall problem with undeleted database

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Mon Jan 9 08:27:16 UTC 2006

hey cameron,

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:06:10PM -0800, Cameron Dale wrote:
> I'm installing my package and creating the database, and then using a
> generated php script to access it. If I then purge the package, and don't
> remove the database, then the next time I try to install the package it
> detects the database there, doesn't install any databases, and creates a new
> generated php script with a new password that can't be used to access the
> database, all without errors. Then I try to use my database and it fails due
> to the incorrect password. Is there anything I can do to make this better,

there really isn't a lot we can do, given that the real solution is to
drop the database in question, and that's something that i'd rather not
put into any kind of automated script :)

> to the incorrect password. Is there anything I can do to make this better,
> or at least throw an error so that the user knows what has gone wrong? Is
> there some way to tell dbconfig-common to change the database password to
> the new one?

i can think of a couple ideas, but all within dbconfig-common.  one
simple thing that would make a big difference is to have the error
message reference some documentation, which has our recommendations
on how to get out of situations like that.

another solution, which would be a bit more complicated (as it involves
hacking/adding code) would be to add some code to check and handle
this situation in a sensible way (prompting on whether to update the
user's password, i guess).

> Thanks for a great package, it's sure made my life easier.

glad to hear.  if you have any other questions, feel free to post
them here (along with info on where we can get source packages).

	sean