[Dbconfig-common-devel] Status of "editing pg_hba.conf"

Karsten Hilbert Karsten.Hilbert at gmx.net
Thu Jan 25 18:17:17 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 05:39:30PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > - GNUmed connects gm-dbo to new GNUmed database
> > 	- why: to run the rest of the GNUmed DDL such
> > 	       that everything is owned by gm-dbo
> > 	- not every PG object can be given explicit
> > 	  ownership yet (we still support PG 7.4)
> > 	- this can be done by requiring md5 access
> > 	  for gm-dbo even on UNIX domain sockets
> >  	- for that, however, we need to edit pg_hba.conf
> > 	- personally, I am fine with popping up an editor
> > 	  with pg_hba.conf in it and showing instructions
> > 	  on what to do
>
> I think I may have found a solution. PostgreSQL has an SQL
> equivalent for SU. I'll try connecting as the superuser and
> SUing to gm-dbo inside the database and then creating all
> the objects. They should then all be owned by gm-dbo.
Yep, this appears to work fine.

This should solve the authentication issues for installing a
GNUmed database from scratch.

Andreas, do you want me to backport this to v4 - which is
used by the just-released 0.2.4 client ?

We *still* need this:

> local   samegroup       +gm-logins          md5
>
> or whatever she choses to pg_hba.conf after installation.

But only after the installation went through and thus it can
be in README.Debian.

:-)

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346