[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: Status of "editing pg_hba.conf"

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Fri Jan 26 09:03:36 CET 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> I think I may have found a solution. PostgreSQL has an SQL
>> equivalent for SU. I'll try connecting as the superuser and
>> SUing to gm-dbo inside the database and then creating all
>> the objects. They should then all be owned by gm-dbo.
> Yep, this appears to work fine.

Great.

> This should solve the authentication issues for installing a
> GNUmed database from scratch.
>
> Andreas, do you want me to backport this to v4 - which is
> used by the just-released 0.2.4 client ?

To the client?  I guess you mean server.  Well, there are
two options: Release 0.2.4.1 or send me a patch against your
upstream version.

> We *still* need this:
>
>> local   samegroup       +gm-logins          md5
>>
>> or whatever she choses to pg_hba.conf after installation.
>
> But only after the installation went through and thus it can
> be in README.Debian.

Well, this sounds like a reasonable solution for the time
beeing (even if I think also without your patch it would
have been possible by just installing SQL files and having
a README that tells: 1. Edit pg_hba.conf and 2. Run script
xy).

But I'm kind of stubborn to prefer the pg_hba.conf feature
because I guess it would be the best thing to do here and
also for other future use cases.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--