[Dbconfig-common-devel] Any advice on preseeding the initial dbconfig-install/dbconfig-upgrade/dbconfig-remove prompts ?

Roelf Diedericks roelf at neology.co.za
Tue Jun 19 20:56:35 UTC 2007

Dear List.

I'm busy with fairly custom package, where I'd like to make use of
dbconfig-common as
the database installation tool. I like the fact that dbconfig-common can
handle database
upgrades in a structured way. My package depends on it directly. I would
like to be able
to force a completely noninteractive install (yes, yes, I know bad idea
(tm) )

Trying to get this working with dbconfig-common in my package's
postinst, and config
scripts have been akin to having teeth pulled. Perhaps it's just because
I'm new to it.

I preseeded the dbconfig prompts with dbc_ variables, and now everything
pretty much
goes as I would expect it to:

Except for one thing. dbconfig-common still asks the user if they would
like to dbconfig
it to configure the database.

I don't want to give the user a choice. I want to use dbconfig, and
nothing else

 I have found no documented way to bypass/preseed the initial
dbconfig-common
"Would you like to use me?" prompt.

I use dbconfig-common from stable 1.8.29+etch1

here's a snippet of the db_go section in my script

dbc_frontend="false"  <--- has pretty much no effect
dbc_debug="1"
dbc_install="true"
dbc_upgrade="true"
dbc_remove="true"
dbc_pgsql_createdb_encoding="UTF8"
dbc_dbuser="test"
dbc_dbpass="test"
dbc_dbname="test"
dbc_go test $@

Any advice on where to start looking? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes
to debconf
preseeding. Could I give cdebconf a preseeded answer in postinst/config
to force the use of dbconfig ?

Regards
Roelf Diedericks