[Dbconfig-common-devel] Any advice on preseeding the initial dbconfig-install/dbconfig-upgrade/dbconfig-remove prompts ?

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Wed Jun 20 23:21:14 UTC 2007

hi rolf,

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 21:56:35 Roelf Diedericks wrote:
> Trying to get this working with dbconfig-common in my package's
> postinst, and config
> scripts have been akin to having teeth pulled. Perhaps it's just because
> I'm new to it.

first things first, dbc really ought to work out-of-the-box for noninteractive
installs with "reasonable defaults".  the only previso currently is that the
database server needs to be installed ahead of time... though hopefully in
the future this will be resolved when apt/aptitude/etc fully incorporate
including Recommends by default (assuming your package Recommends the db
servers in question)

otherwise, you probably ought to be able to set the variables in question in
the config script before sourcing the shell library and calling dbc_go.  if
you don't want to show the initial "use dbc?" question at all, you'll need to
do real pre-seeding, but i would recommend against that.  maybe you could
give a little more background on what you're doing?

	sean