[Dbconfig-common-devel] package that must not manage a database but can write on it

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Thu Feb 11 18:21:08 UTC 2010

hi frédéric,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:01:24AM +0100, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> tango-db and tango-starter
>
> tango-db contain a daemon which use Mysql to provide a service for plenty of corba programmes.
> each time a corba program need to be run in our system it must be register in the Mysql database.
>
> so the tango-starter must be able to connect to the database and populate a few tables during installation.
> during the remove part it must not remove the database.

if tango-starter needs database access when it's being isntalled (as opposed
to when other packages are being installed, i wasn't quite sure how
to interpret the above), one option is to simply use the config from the
tango-db package and not have dbconfig-common used in both packages.  of
course to do this tango-starter would need to depend on tango-db.

if tango-starter might be installed seperately from tango-db, you could
use the "frontend" functionality, which is normally designed to be a
read-only interface (it won't create databases or run sql).  in this
case you would have to populate the database yourself in your own postinst,
though you could use the dbconfig config file generated (or make one in
your own language using dbconfig-generate-include).

hope that helps!
	sean