[Dbconfig-common-devel] Read only access for all users to database

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Sun Apr 17 22:26:03 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-04-17 at 20:31 +0200, Paul Gevers wrote:
> Hi Kip,

Hey Paul.

> That depends on the answers of the administrator to the dbconfig
> -common questions. dbconfig-common is designed to not care about
> which host the database runs on. So if your package only makes sense
> when the database runs on the same host, you better make sure that
> that is what happens.

As I mentioned there's separate packages for the client application and
the database packages. The latter package carries with it the database
schema and uses dbconfig-common in its .config maintainer script as you
previously saw.

> > That also appears to be what it has been doing
> > successfully with my package.
>
> I suggest you install once with DEBIAN_PRIORITY=low or reconfiguring
> your package by running dpkg-reconfigure myapplication-database.
> Because with the default that is true, but in general it is not.

Already done many times. This is what happens as you saw in the .config
script in my previous email. This makes sense since it's normal for a
database to be hosted not on the same machine as the client, but
ultimately something has to install a database on a machine somewhere
and this is how it is done with dbconfig-common as I understand it.

All I want to know is how to allow all system users read only access to
the database on the machine hosting the database that dbconfig-common
created when dbc_go was invoked in the myapplication-database.config
script.

> > If you want another client application to connect to the database,
> > wherever it may happen to be, the database package can generate
> > connection parameters via dbconfig-generate-include during the
> > postinst
> > hook, as I do.
>
> I must be misunderstanding you ("wherever it may be"), because I
> think that only works when it is on the same host as your package.

Yes and no. The file dbconfig-generate-include generates that a client
script sources, it needs to be able to access. But that still doesn't
mean that the client has to be on the same machine as the host
database.

--
Kip Warner -- Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred