[Dbconfig-common-devel] Read only access for all users to database

Paul Gevers elbrus at debian.org
Sun Apr 17 18:31:52 UTC 2016

Hi Kip,

On 15-04-16 22:24, Kip Warner wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-04-15 at 09:30 +0200, Paul Gevers wrote:
> Hey Paul. As far as I know, dbconfig-common will create the database on
> the machine installing the package on, unless I've been misreading the
> documentation.

That depends on the answers of the administrator to the dbconfig-common
questions. dbconfig-common is designed to not care about which host the
database runs on. So if your package only makes sense when the database
runs on the same host, you better make sure that that is what happens.

> That also appears to be what it has been doing
> successfully with my package.

I suggest you install once with DEBIAN_PRIORITY=low or reconfiguring
your package by running dpkg-reconfigure myapplication-database. Because
with the default that is true, but in general it is not.

> If you want another client application to connect to the database,
> wherever it may happen to be, the database package can generate
> connection parameters via dbconfig-generate-include during the postinst
> hook, as I do.

I must be misunderstanding you ("wherever it may be"), because I think
that only works when it is on the same host as your package.

Paul