[Deb-scipy-devel] Re: New SciPy release, Numpy and matplotlib

Marco Presi zufus at zufus.org
Tue Feb 14 01:28:58 UTC 2006

 || On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:52:53 +0100
 || Matthias Klose <doko at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
	>> Hi all,
	>>
	>> I am writing this e-mail to discuss about the new version of scipy (0.4.4)

        [..]

	mk> - please upload to experimental first, so we can make test builds of
	mk>   all packages rdepending on -numeric and -numarray.

        I just compiled scipy (using the same rules file from older
        version). It requires Numpy to build. So I also made (quickly
        and dirtly, very far to be ready for upload) a python-numpy
        package as well. For the moment, please, find all at
        http://p.d.o/~zufus/scipy/

        The packaging needs some simple fixies. I didn't have time to test
        their installation (it's really late and I am tired.. I will
        take care of it tomorrow)

        I think it should be also included into the svn, if you all
        agree, and in the next days, upload to experimental.

        Btw, an ITP on python-numpy should be open. I can do it,
        specifying that the package will be maintained by the deb-scipy
        group (that Mathias and Vittorio are welcome to join).

	mk>   which packages did you try to build with scipy?

        still no one.

	mk> - I'd like to see that atlas3 is not the preferred dependency, it's
	mk>   not built on all platforms and rather large. The current
	mk>   numeric/numarray packages use something like:

        The README file that comes with scipy asks for atlas2.
        For this quick build, I used the same build-deps from python-numeric/numarray.

	mk> - can scipy be built using gfortran?

        don't know. I am using g77. But accordingly to this post[1] it should be
        possible to do it at least with NumPy.

        Another question: reading on numpy website, I deduced that
        numeric, numarray and numpy shouldn't conflict; is it right?

        Ciao Ciao

        Marco

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14653474

--
"I videogiochi non influenzano i bambini. Voglio dire, se Pac-Man avesse
influenzato la nostra generazione, staremmo tutti saltando in sale

"Videogames do not influence kids. I mean, if Pac-Man influenced our
generation, we were all jumping in dark rooms, chomping pills and
listening to electronic repeating music."

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989