[Deb-scipy-devel] Updates for numpy

Jose Fonseca j_r_fonseca at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 21:17:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

There is a new set of numpy/scipy packages for the new python policy in
the usual place.

I've exceed the time I planned to work on the package. I'm afraid I
really have to resume my work, and can't afford spending more time with
the packaging.

IMO, the major outstanding issue is that numpy&scipy are not finding
atlas libs in debian. The TODO.debian in python-numpy has more detail:

-------------------------
the symptom is when running

  python2.3 -c 'from numpy.distutils.system_info import show_all; show_all()'

it says it cant' find atlas in several points.
the causes appear to be mixed:
 1. debian atlas are spread in several subdirs instead of one (/usr/lib, /usr/lib/atlas, /usr/lib/atlas/sse2, ...)
 2. atlas shared libraries have no *.so files, just *.so.3

system_info allows one to write a /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/distutils/site.cfg
but I can't get anything out of it.

This is not a showstopper, though. I believe that providing the new
version for debian users is more important, while this can wait.

José Fonseca