[Deb-scipy-devel] Updates for numpy

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Thu Jul 6 08:56:03 UTC 2006

On 05/07/2006, at 11:17 PM, Jose Fonseca wrote:

> There is a new set of numpy/scipy packages for the new python policy in
> the usual place.
>
> I've exceed the time I planned to work on the package. I'm afraid I
> really have to resume my work, and can't afford spending more time with
> the packaging.
>
> IMO, the major outstanding issue is that numpy&scipy are not finding
> atlas libs in debian. The TODO.debian in python-numpy has more detail:
>
> -------------------------
> the symptom is when running
>
>   python2.3 -c 'from numpy.distutils.system_info import show_all;
> show_all()'
>
> it says it cant' find atlas in several points.
> the causes appear to be mixed:
>  1. debian atlas are spread in several subdirs instead of one
> (/usr/lib, /usr/lib/atlas, /usr/lib/atlas/sse2, ...)
>  2. atlas shared libraries have no *.so files, just *.so.3

I ran into the second problem a few months ago; I worked around it by
installing the -dev packages for ATLAS, which provide symlinks *.so ->
*.so.3.  With the atlas-*-dev packages installed, numpy builds fine
against ATLAS, and a site.cfg file isn't necessary.

I don't understand why the ATLAS packages are structured in this way.
Does anyone else?!

-- Ed