Debtags wishlist?

Enrico Zini zinie@cs.unibo.it
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 18:24:50 +0200

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 05:54:31PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> With just 17 updated packages during the last month (!!) the tagging
> process is stalled. In fact we have a degradation in the amount of
> tagged packages, due to packages being removed/renamed/added.
> What should we do next? Was there much feedback on synaptic-debtags?
> Should we head for intergration of tags into the package data?
> Or should we postpone this until after the sarge release
> (i.e. forever? ;-)

I'd say let's just do what we can to make things happen:

 - I'm planning to add a function to debtags that shows you what
   packages are installed in your system that contain some
   non-tagged-yet tag.  More work on debtags/tagcoll could
   help too (like further tuning the current hierarchy algorithm,
   probably).
 - synaptic-debtags being more widely deployed could really help showing
   people some use for tags
 - other nice tools yet to be written could help bringing the need for
   more tagging to more people
   (and of course, also making existing tools support tags)
 - we still lack an official tag task force, and such a task force could
   also work on further implementation steps
 - we could edit a page with "tag tips"; for example:
    Q: How can I see what KDE packages I have installed?
    A: synaptic-debtags, filter for 'gui::kde' tag

These are my first ideas.  Unfortunately in this period I'm primarily
focusing at finishing my thesis and (fortunately) participating to some
events that people started inviting me to and making me so happy!! :)

Ciao,

Enrico