debian package browser

Erich Schubert erich@debian.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:15:08 +0100

Hi,

> I see what you mean... Why not. I suppose that unfolded tags would be
> tags where a tag named x is associated to x::{a,b,...}. That can be
> done automatically.

Kind of. We usually don't want it. There are just a couple of cases.
If you look at the vocabulary in alioth cvs you should be able to spot
them easily - just check "ui".  For example "ids" shouldn't appear as a
sub-choice of "security" as soon as a security subgroup is formed.

The proper way to store this information is another issue. OTFH it is
part of the vocabulary, OTOH it is tag-browser-dependant information.
I'd like to be able to change it without updating the browser package...

> Then, if ui was an "unfolded" tagname, I guess no
> package should have ui as a tag, but ui::* instead.

It's way easier to calculate if every package which has ui::* is
required to have "ui", and every "ui" package at least one "ui::*" tag.
Of course you can strip these "implicated" tags from the packages.gz
file, but that is just reducing the file size.

FYI: i don't think "mail" is that hard to find, although the packages
are tagged _really_ bad. (most don't have protocol tags etc.)

Network and Communication, Network Client, Email
and then look in "User Interface", too.

Unfortunately, mutt doesn't have user interface tags, mozilla-mailnews
is not tagged "client" and so on. See: that is the real problem -
inconsistent tagging.

Greetings,
Erich Schubert
--
     erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C     (o_
    There was never a good war or a bad peace. - Benjamin Franklin     //\