[Debburn-devel] What can I assume about libc?

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:05:27 UTC 2006

On 10/2/06, Lorenz Minder <lminder at gmx.net> wrote:

> Just a quick question: What functions in libc can I use in cdrkit? I
> guess probably everything from C89, but what about some widely-used
> C99-functions?

If it is possible to write a replacement, then go right ahead.

> * snprintf() and friends. Can I use this? Right now there is a
>   replacement in libschily, but if that is to go it would be unwise to
>   add more dependencies on it...

If somebody loves a crappy platform enough to help out, then
they can write a snprintf(). It isn't terribly difficult.

> * <wchar.t> and its related functions. Can I use them, or should I just
>   use iconv instead? Will iconv ever be mandatory for building cdrkit?

Perhaps that sort of thing should be simplified a bit, if only to
reduce complexity a bit. Windows uses UTF-16 with a 16-bit
wchar_t, and pretty much everybody else is rapidly headed
toward UTF-8. It might be reasonable to have two modes,
the default which enforces valid UTF-8 plus valid UTF-16,
and an option to just shove raw native characters onto the disk.
(then again, kicking mkisofs out might be a better move)