[Debburn-devel] Keeping burnfree at default settings and common DRIVEROPTS

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Wed Sep 27 18:27:38 UTC 2006

#include <hallo.h>
* Eduard Bloch [Wed, Sep 27 2006, 11:32:05AM]:

> So the drive defaults are basically ignored. And the user is confused. I
> suggest:
>
>  - get drive's default setting
>  - for paket mode, set the setting to yes
>  - change it depending on driveropts value
>  - when writting begins, apply the setting and report the previous drive
>    setting and the new selection ONCE
>
> Further, I would introduce the shell variable/config setting called
> CDR_DRIVEROPTS CDR_DRIVEROPTS_APPEND where common options (for all
> drives) could be preset for all drives, or appended to the options
> specified by the user later.

Double-thinking about the issue leads to another opinion: it is not a
good idea to rely on drive's default setting. Because the setting can be
changed at runtime and kept then, so the "default" is irrelevant. Also,
CDR_DRIVEROPTS_APPEND is not a good choice - since usualy the last
option wins, it should be CDR_DRIVEROPTS_PREPEND. So, my new favorite
solution would be:

 - make burnfree default setting, unless disabled by user or not
   supported by the drive
 - implement CDR_DRIVEROPTS_PREPEND so the user can make a global
   default setting (set it to noburnfree)

Comments? Suggestions? Objections?

Eduard.
--