[Debburn-devel] Re: wodim -msinfo returns 0, 0 for first DVD session

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Mon Apr 9 11:10:50 UTC 2007

#include <hallo.h>
* Mike Cornelison [Mon, Apr 09 2007, 10:38:08AM]:

> Sorry about the "HTML junk". I did not do this deliberately, or to have fun.
> Thunderbird e-mailer did this all by itself.

Both wrong. IIRC the default setting is "ask for confirmation and send
html only then when text attributes have been used". You need to
configure it to "just do HTML" explicitely.

> RE: wodim -msinfo returns 0,0 for first DVD session
>
> Here are the diagnostic outputs you requested:
>
> STDIN:
>
> mico at mico1:~$ genisoimage -R -q -print-size /home2/mico/programs
> 14384
>
> mico at mico1:~$ genisoimage -R /home2/mico/programs | wodim -vvv -VVV -multi dev=/dev/dvd -sao tsize=14384 - &gt;wout1 2&gt;werr1
                                                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^

This is your first mistake. Missing RTFM. You want tsize=14384s (note
the s).

> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
> Current: 0x001A (DVD+RW)

That is the second problem. AFAICS DVD+RW is always running in overwrite
mode. So your options are:

 - use a native read-writting filesystem. UDF shall be the best
   candidate WRT performance and lesser attrition but the current state
   on Linux is IMO very bad when it comes to writting support. A quick
   check with 2.6.21-rc6 shows that it still does weird stuff, gets
   confused when too many files are copied quickly.

   Other filesystems are possible too, eg. ext2 or VFAT, but they are
   not optimal.

 - do fake multisession within one single track. AFAICS growisofs does
   that, allowing you to put multiple iso9660 filesystems like you would
   do with multisession, adopting the header to reroute the filesystem
   driver to the last chunk.

   wodim does not support this feature yet. Install dvd+rw-utils.

If you need real multisession, go for DVD-RW which can work in
restricted-overwrite mode but also in in CD-like sequential mode.

Eduard.

--
<VChriZZnb> immer wieder werde ich gekickt nur wegen kleinigkeiten...
<Harlekin> VChriZZnb: erwachsen werden hilft