[Debburn-devel] Kernel configuration wrt burning

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Mon Aug 20 21:46:54 UTC 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 at 18:41:53 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> I would be astonished if the kernel would have influence
> on reliability of DVD+R recordings - as long as it works
> properly with forwarding SCSI commands and replies.

Thanks for clearing that up.

> Unlike than with CD-R[W] and DVD-R[W] there is no way
> to control buffer underrun protection for DVD+R. Actually
> there seems to be no need for it:

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

> > They wrote that going slower than half the rated
> > speed wouldn't get you a noticeable improvement in quality .
>
> You seem to have media by which you can verify
> or falsify that statement. dvd+rw-mediainfo indicated
> a wide range of write speeds.

I did my own small unprofessional test recently wrt to speed vs. quality. I
used KProbe with a Lite-On reader to assess which burn speed yields the best
result. I used the same media and the same burner for all tests. I tested 4x,
6x, 8x, 12x and 16x. 8x turned out to be the winner.

Thanks Thomas!

Regards
Sebastian