[Debburn-devel] Kernel configuration wrt burning

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Aug 20 16:41:53 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Reliability. I've burned some coasters in the past

I would be astonished if the kernel would have influence
on reliability of DVD+R recordings - as long as it works
properly with forwarding SCSI commands and replies.

Unlike than with CD-R[W] and DVD-R[W] there is no way
to control buffer underrun protection for DVD+R. Actually
there seems to be no need for it:
- To my own experience with DVD+R a shortage of input
  does not cause a coaster. (Press Ctrl+S, wait a few
  seconds, press Ctrl+Q, burning goes on.)
- MMC-5 prescribes for DVD+R the semantics of 32 kB packet
  write mode. This mode seems to be immune against buffer
  underrun with all media.
- MMC-5 allows multiple open tracks on one DVD+R. It is hard
  to imagine how to use 15 distinct tracks and perform
  seamless writing at the same time.

So the old reasons for old CD burner coasters (like on my
first two Yamahas) are not valid with DVD burners any more.
Superuser authority, larger fifo, kernel throughput tuning
are remedies for those old reasons (when 4x CD speed was
a challenge for the 200 MHz PC).

> c't magazine issues (German computer mag)
> that said choosing the right media for your burner is the first step.

Yes. DVD is still extremely picky about drive-media
compatibility. My personal plight is with 4x DVD-RW.

Lidl DVD-R and Aldi-Sued DVD+R are quite useable with
my three DVD burners and two DVD-ROMs. But i don't burn
many of them and i don't know what would happen with
different drives (or with Aldi-Nord media).

> They wrote that going slower than half the rated
> speed wouldn't get you a noticeable improvement in quality .

You seem to have media by which you can verify
or falsify that statement. dvd+rw-mediainfo indicated
a wide range of write speeds.

The classical remedy is to use a different brand of media.
Regrettably one can not trust any imprints on box or
media. But one can distinguish various manufacturers and
types by
  dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/... | grep 'Media ID'

Have a nice day :)

Thomas