[Debburn-devel] Crypto support in cdrkit

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Fri Feb 9 13:06:27 CET 2007

Eduard Bloch <edi at gmx.de> writes:

>> [1] http://burbon04.gmxhome.de/linux/CDREncryption.html
>
> Originaly, I disagreed adding it because of not seeing any good point
> therein. It only adds additional complexity to wodim, but for which
> purpose? What exactly can you do with it that you cannot do with a
> wrapper script around genisoimage which uses aespipe &Co.?

Exactly this question is answered in lenght on the webpage linked in [1]
above, see section "Why ? And why a patch for cdrecord ?". What You
propose sounds like point 2: "completely in userland, encrypting the ISO
and burn it the usual way". The patch in question attempts point 5
"between userland and kernel".

More specifically, this patch creates a LUKS header on the image. I'm
not aware of any pipe like wrapper which supports LUKS. [2]

[2] http://luks.endorphin.org/

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4