[Debburn-devel] Issue when burning a DVD : DVD vs DMA speed

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Tue Feb 27 13:34:40 CET 2007

#include <hallo.h>
* Olivier Médoc [Tue, Feb 27 2007, 10:26:31AM]:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have an issue when burning a DVD. When I try to burn 16x DVD+R the burn process often end without apparent errors, but my drive stay working and locked.
>
> I found that my DMA switch off during the burn process in this case.
>
> I use graveman, but I already tried and found the same issue with k3b. Here are my DVD burner specs (I use the last firmware and now a kernel 2.6.20) :

> Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
> communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
> Drive DMA Speed: 14497 kB/s 82x CD 10x DVD
> Current Secsize: 2048
>   ATIP start of lead in:  -150 (00:00/00)
>  DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
>  UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
>  AdvancedPM=no
>  Drive conforms to: Unspecified:  ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3 ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5
>
>  * signifies the current active mode
> My hard disk drive is using udma5 but is on another IDE controler.
>
> If I understand correctly the Drive DMA speed, I can't burn a DVD at
> more than 10x. But using graveman with the Max speed value, it burn it
> at 16x. Burning 8x DVD works, and burning 16x DVD with few data (<
> 2GB) sometimes works.

A-Ha. The DMA speed check says that your hardware sucks and can only
transfer reliably for max. speed of 10x. Why do you try to be more
clever and force 16x?

> The dependancies when burning a dvd are (I may be wrong) :
>
> Graveman -> growisofs -> mkisofs -> wodim -> kernel

growisofs does not use wodim. It has own DVD writting code.

> Is this issue really coming from the DVD speed ?
> Can I fix my DMA speed to burn 16x DVD ?

This is not a hardware or kernel related mailing list. Ask on those
places. I would try to attach a proper IDE controller. Maybe even use
the same controller for DVD recorder and harddisk, tough it is not good
choice in the general case because they share the available bandwith
then.

> Why is the DMA speed < 10x for DVDs ?

How should we know? Ask your hardware manufacturers.

Eduard.

--
<Salz> jjFux: Ted hieß ja früher auch Walther
<Salz> winkiller: hm... es sind 8... die 7 kandidaten und NOTA