[Debburn-devel] Issue when burning a DVD : DVD vs DMA speed

Olivier Médoc o_medoc at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 27 11:26:31 CET 2007

Hello,

I currently have an issue when burning a DVD. When I try to burn 16x DVD+R the burn process often end without apparent errors, but my drive stay working and locked.

I found that my DMA switch off during the burn process in this case.

I use graveman, but I already tried and found the same issue with k3b. Here are my DVD burner specs (I use the last firmware and now a kernel 2.6.20) :

 wodim dev=/dev/hdc -atip -verbose
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.2
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'DVDRAM GSA-4167B'
Revision       : 'DL13'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0012 (DVD-RAM)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM) (current)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0002 (Removable disk)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Drive buf size : 1114112 = 1088 KB
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
Drive DMA Speed: 14497 kB/s 82x CD 10x DVD
Current Secsize: 2048
  ATIP start of lead in:  -150 (00:00/00)
Disk type:    unknown dye (reserved id code)
Manuf. index: -1
Manufacturer: unknown (not in table)
$ hdparm -i /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

 Model=HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B, FwRev=DL13, SerialNo=877AF8C427A9
 Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
 RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
 BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
 (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes:  pio0 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
 AdvancedPM=no
 Drive conforms to: Unspecified:  ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3 ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5

 * signifies the current active mode
My hard disk drive is using udma5 but is on another IDE controler.

If I understand correctly the Drive DMA speed, I can't burn a DVD at more than 10x. But using graveman with the Max speed value, it burn it at 16x. Burning 8x DVD works, and burning 16x DVD with few data (< 2GB) sometimes works.

The dependancies when burning a dvd are (I may be wrong) :

Graveman -> growisofs -> mkisofs -> wodim -> kernel

Is this issue really coming from the DVD speed ?
Can I fix my DMA speed to burn 16x DVD ?
Why is the DMA speed < 10x for DVDs ?
Which software is responsible to limit the burning speed ?

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com