[Debburn-devel] Re: Problem recording with new system

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Feb 28 08:19:20 CET 2007

Hi,

> dev=1,0,0
> dev=/dev/sg1
> Supported modes:

Hrmpf. So it is not the device file address
to blame.
As far as wodim is concerned i am out of ideas now.

One will have to examine the problem on a lower
level, i.e. which SCSI commands are not doing what
one would expect.

If i get it right, wodim makes test setups with the
various write types and interprets the drive's
reply on those attempts.
In wodim/drv_mmc.c:check_writemodes_mmc() :
        mp->write_type = WT_TAO;
        mp->track_mode = TM_DATA;
        mp->dbtype = DB_ROM_MODE1;

        if (set_mode_params(usalp, "CD write parameter", mode, len, 0, -1)) {
                dp->cdr_flags |= CDR_TAO;
                if (xdebug)
                        printf("TAO ");
        } else
                dp->cdr_flags &= ~CDR_TAO;

I see two paths of progress open:

- You throw above test out of your wodim copy and flatly
  state:
        dp->cdr_flags |= CDR_TAO;
  Then you try how far the program gets with burning.
  It might fail again because set_mode_params() seems to
  be the setup of mode page 5 and thus important for real
  burning. (It sets write type, multi-session, burnfree,
  dummy mode, audio/data)

- We explore what your drive is willing to do and what not.
  For that we would have to move the experiments from wodim
  to my own project cdrskin. It will probably not do better
  in the beginning but we can try to find a workaround.

  If you are interested, contact me in private.
  (I hope this is not regarded as abduction of a wodim user.
  Both projects work on the same hardware and use quite the
  same command set. So what one project learns about peculiar
  drives should be helpful for the other too. I will report
  any insight, of course.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas