[Debburn-devel] Errors when attempting to burn DVDs

Julian Calaby julian.calaby at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 01:25:21 UTC 2007

On 6/1/07, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > >   growisofs /dev/hdc=dvd.iso
> > Claims that the amount to be written is larger than the available
> > space on the disk. WTF?
> > =====
> > # growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=dvd.iso
> > Executing 'builtin_dd if=dvd.iso of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=0'
> > :-( /dev/hdc: 2295104 blocks are free, 2320832 to be written!
>
> Did i miscalculate the hex number reported by wodim ?
> I did:  2369BAh = 2320826 decimal.
>
> This indicates the problem is with dvd.iso which is larger
> than the usual size of a DVD+R. Not much, but enough to make
> it fail.
>
> The capacity "4.7 GB" for DVD means 4.9 billion bytes.
> That is 4482 MiB plus some extra bytes.

Ok, so after adjusting my iso generating script to generate slightly
smaller isos. I was able to burn them, however I got bitten by the
"not waiting for the drive to finish" bug in version 1.1.4 of wodim,
and had to manually fix the DVDs. (however, they worked perfectly!!!)

Upgrading to 1.1.6 fixed this issue to, and now everything just works!!!

Thanks for all your help, and if you need any new features tested,
drop me a line.

Thanks,

--

Julian Calaby