[Debburn-devel] what is the relation beween mkisofs and genisoimage?

Toderel Adrian-Aurel totedati at rdslink.ro
Sat May 5 20:31:00 UTC 2007

Pe data de Sîmbătă 05 Mai 2007, Peter Samuelson a scris:
> I feel this is a problem for Unix / Linux distributors to solve: Fedora
> or SuSE or whoever can decide to provide those symlinks, either in the
> genisoimage package itself, or (as Debian does) in a separate "mkisofs"
> package, intended for transitions from the old names to the new names.
> And indeed they can _stop_ providing them when they believe the
> symlinks are no longer useful.
>
> If the Gentoo build provides a symlink for the binary, but not for the
> manpage, I suppose that is a bug in their packaging.
>
> Peter

it is ok for me ... your point of view is valid ... my problem is how gentoo
threat the problem ... they create a simbolic link from genisoimage binary to
mkisofs, but man pages is only for genisoimage command for mkisofs is none.
Is true that cdrtools software package exist and can be installed in gentoo
but when you try to do that you can not install both software packages, you
need to choice only one. So when you choice is cdrtools, you have a mkisofs
bynary and a mkisofs man pages ... When you choice to install cdrkit
you 'have' a mkisofs simbolic link to genisoimage and no mkisofs man page.
For me this is an incosistent package policy, and i filled a bug in gentoo
bug sistem. To be more sure how is treated here i do also this request for a
opinion ... for me cdrkit policy to this problem is ok and consistent .. no
problem here ... only gentoo point of view is not right to me .. my battle is
moving to gentoo bug sistem ...

and also thanks for a so quick response ... is my first attempt to fill a bug
report in gentoo, and in linux also, and i'm try to do it right ...

--
Adilici & Co.

Linux is free ... the expertise to harness it is not .... ;-+
You don't make money selling open source software!
You make money USING it ... ;-p
linux registered user #352479