[Debburn-devel] what is the relation beween mkisofs and genisoimage?

Lars Weiler pylon at gentoo.org
Sun May 6 19:56:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm currently the package maintainer of cdrkit on Gentoo.
So, let me explain a bit ;-)

* Toderel Adrian-Aurel <totedati at rdslink.ro> [07/05/05 21:10 +0300]:
> but man page for mkisofs is missing, i mean a symbolic link from genisoimage
> man page to mkisofs man page but this is forget link is destined to a bug
> report to gentoo bug system. Here i want to clarify a little more htis

Yes, that's a known bug.  At least I stepped into that
problem myself last week, but I had no time yet to fix that.
Sorry.

> problem. After a little investigation, a genuine local install of
> cdrkit-1.1.5.1.tar.gz original package, i see that here is not generated any
> link from genisoimage to mkisofs. This means that genisoimage is not
> considered a 'replacement' for mkisofs or that because is new and can have
> more bugs that original 'mkisofs' this replacement is delayed now?

In Gentoo-Land we didn't change every package which used
cdrecord and friends for using wodim and friends
exclusively.  We decided to provide symlinks for the next
months until most of the packages can detect both, cdrecord
and cdrkit.  But we did not go so far that the user can
install both packages.  He should choose between one of
those both, which will fulfill a virtual dependency after
installation.

So, as you only argue about the missing man-pages-symlinks,
please wait a little bit until that is fixed in our Gentoo
ebuild.  On the other hand, I can not say how long it will
take until your Gentoo spin-off distribution include the
fixes.

Regards, Lars