[Debburn-devel] Errors when attempting to burn DVDs

Julian Calaby julian.calaby at gmail.com
Wed May 30 02:20:35 UTC 2007

Hello,

I apologise if this has been covered before, but I cannot find a
searchable archive for this list to check.

The problem:

I am attempting to burn ~4.5 GB isos to DVD+R media on a Pioneer
DVR-111D (firmware revision 1.19)

Upon attempting to burn with the commandline:
wodim dev=/dev/hdc dvd.iso

I get:
======
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'PIONEER '
Identification : 'DVD-RW  DVR-111D'
Revision       : '1.19'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
wodim: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
wodim: Notice: Most recorders cannot write CD's >= 90 minutes.
wodim: Notice: Use -ignsize option to allow >= 90 minutes.
wodim: Notice: Use -overburn option to write more than the official
disk capacity.
wodim: Notice: Most CD-writers do overburning only on SAO or RAW mode.
======

I know from experience burning CDs with the same drive that the first
three lines are harmless, however the fact that it cannot determine
the details of my RiTek DVD+R (8x) media is worrying.

If I follow it's advice and burn with -ignsize, I get:
======
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'PIONEER '
Identification : 'DVD-RW  DVR-111D'
Revision       : '1.19'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
wodim: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
wodim: Notice: Overburning active. Trying to write more than the
official disk capacity.
Speed set to 11080 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   8.0 in real unknown mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Errno: 0 (Success), reserve track scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  53 00 00 00 00 00 23 69 BA 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x00 (logical block address out of range) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.006s timeout 40s
wodim: Cannot open new session.
======

Which is rather worrying.

My system is Debian Lenny up to the minute, running a custom 2.6.21.1 kernel

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--

Julian Calaby