[Debburn-devel] Errors when attempting to burn DVDs

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu May 31 10:20:21 UTC 2007

Hi,

> I am attempting to burn ~4.5 GB isos to DVD+R media [...]
> wodim dev=/dev/hdc dvd.iso
> wodim: Asuming -tao mode.

To my own experience, wodim is able to burn DVD only if option
-sao is in effect. I.e. try
  wodim dev=/dev/hdc -sao dvd.iso

> Errno: 0 (Success), reserve track scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  53 00 00 00 00 00 23 69 BA 00
> Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x00 (logical block address out of range) Fru 0x0

With the failing command, the size is 002369BA. That's
decimal 2255290. About 4405 MiB. That should fit on a DVD+R.

It might be your drive takes offense on the last digit "A".
MMC-5, 4.3.6.2.3, says about the DVD+R media model:
  "b) If the Host chooses to issue the RESERVE TRACK command, then
      a size shall be selected. The size is rounded up to an ECC block
      boundary.
  "
(Rounded up by whom ?)
ECC blocks are of 32 KiB size. So the Reservation Size
given with command 53h RESERVE TRACK might better be
divisible by 16 (decimal). I.e. the last hex digit should be 0.

In that case you might have better luck if you pad up your
dvd.iso by 6 * 2048 bytes
  dd if=/dev/zero bs=2048 count=6 >>dvd.iso
and then try writing again.

If wodim still does not work, then you should test your
drive with other DVD burn software. E.g.
  growisofs /dev/hdc=dvd.iso
or
  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/hdc dvd.iso
(cdrskin version >= 0.3.6)

With growisofs you may circumvent the RESERVE TRACK command by
  dd bs=32768 if=dvd.iso | growisofs /dev/hdc=/dev/fd/0
With cdrskin the same is done by
  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/hdc -tao dvd.iso

Have a nice day :)

Thomas