[Debburn-devel] read named pipes

Tom Deblauwe tickets at metalnight.be
Fri Apr 11 08:42:30 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have a question about writing files to an iso image.

I want to write an iso image, with the following structure for example:
/cam1.mp4
/cam2.mp4
/cam3.mp4

I have a lot of small files on my harddisk, which I need to read, strip
some things of of them, and then append the remaining data of that file
to for example "cam1.mp4".
I first thought that I could make a directory with named pipes, and then
write that directory to an iso image using genisoimage. But it just
writes the named pipes literally to the disk, it doesn't ask data from
those pipes.

I tested this:
mkdir burn
cd burn
mkfifo test.txt
cd ..
echo "hello world" > burn/test.txt &
genisoimage -J -r -o test.iso burn/

This gave me an iso with test.txt that was 0 bytes, and of file type
"pipe". So it didn't read that echo. How can I do this, or is there
another way?

Thanks a lot,
Best regards,
Tom,