[Debburn-devel] Do you know a good dvd burner emulator

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 10:41:43 UTC 2008

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> but at some point I will need to read
>> and write a CD-R, and that can be costly.
>
> During development of libburn i use re-writeable
> media where possible.
>
> CD-RW can behave like CD-R, DVD-RW like DVD-R.
This is good news.

My goal is to write a userspace UDF filesystem,
that will write both -R and RW.

The bulk of the work is writing the filesystem, it isn't easy
but I made some progress.

I don't worry about -RW disks, they are both rewritable, and
there exist an in kernel driver pktcdvd that I at least can look at.

On the other hand there is just no support for writing -R media using
packet writing, I don't have a working example to test against.

You meant that sequential (btw default) mode or RWs is same as -R?
This is great.

If I manage to make reliable support for DVD-R, I hope DVD+R isn't much different.