[Debburn-devel] Do you know a good dvd burner emulator

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Oct 14 11:41:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

> My goal is to write a userspace UDF filesystem,
> that will write both -R and RW.

UDF provides random access usage models for formatted
re-usable media. A common approach for CD-R and
CD-RW would have to use the sequential models,
nevertheless.

> The bulk of the work is writing the filesystem, it isn't easy
> but I made some progress.

Our project libburnia has own plans to cover
the sequential models. They seem quite similar
to single-session and to multi-session ISO 9660.
The kernel based efforts seem rather to address
the formatted media with finely granulated write
operations.

So maybe you want to contact Vreixo Formoso, the
developer of libisofs, for an exchange of thoughts
and possible cooperation.

> You meant that sequential (btw default) mode or RWs is same as -R?
> This is great.

Yep. Even cdrecord makes use of "multi-border"
capabilities meanwhile.
The Incremental write mode was not mentioned in MMC-3
but growisofs performs it since several years. In the
18 months since libburn gained DVD capabilities i never
met a DVD burner which was unable to do multi-session
on DVD-R[W]. (See below for bad news about DVD-RW quality.)

> If I manage to make reliable support for DVD-R, I hope DVD+R isn't much
> different.

Oh it is in several ways.
But it is one of the few media where MMC-5 gives
a sketch of writing a session.