[Debburn-devel] LG CH08LS10 not burning CDs

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Jan 31 07:52:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

> I dont think this is a bug with linux but rather a buggy firmware.
> The dmesg errors are still there, i tried three different medias and
> disabled anything that could access my dvd-drive.

If dmesg reports the errors without a burn
program being active then it is at least in that
aspect a problem of the overall system.

There should simply not be any automatic media
examination. This opens the gates for firmware
vulnerability. MMC says clearly that during
sequential writes only very few other MMC
commands are allowed.
E.g. you may inquire the buffer fill of the
drive. But reading the table-of-content or even
trying to read data spoils a burn run on many
drives.

The programmers of distro and/or kernel have to
find out what entity tries to access the drive.
After all it produces messages. Ain't there a
syslog debugging mode which tells the process
id of the submitter ?

I still suspect that something gets out of hand
on your system especially. The elsewise not very
risky examination (which should not be anyway)
seems to get prolonged on your system.
I will boot RIP Linux today on our OS farm and
have a look what it does. This is a new AMD
quadcore. (Pity the SATA drive is extracted now
because of its DVD-RW firmware bugs. I got an
USB burner and a IDE DVD-ROM attached.)

> http://diablo.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/man/man2html?hal-disable-polling+1

Yeah. That's the same story out of their view.

> "Fortunately newer SATA ATAPI hardware seems to
> support Asynchronous Notification (AN) and at
> this time of writing (March 2007) work is
> underway."

AN ? I will have to google for that.

A not so well working feature could be the
seed from were the trouble grows.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas