[Debburn-devel] wodim -tao and wodim -msinfo doesn't work on a DVD

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Mar 31 06:52:41 UTC 2011

Hi,

> I wanted to burn a DVD in TAO mode but wodim said me that he wants to
> burn in real unknown mode instead of real TAO mode.
> [...]
> sudo wodim -multi -v dev=/dev/sr0 speed=1 /tmp/backup.iso

What DVD type did you use in particular ?

Afaik, wodim does on DVD-R only DAO which will not work together
with option -multi.
I doubt that wodim supports -multi on any DVD types.

So you should replace -multi by -sao in your wodim command.
The resulting media will be closed afterwards, i.e. it will
take no further sessions. (DVD-RW may get blanked to make them
writeable again.)
-sao will not work with appendable media but only with blank ones
(and probably with overwriteables).

> The other problem is that wodim -msinfo shows on a DVD every time 0,0
> even if there is data on the disk.

It is simply unable to handle your DVD as multi-session media.

Alternatives to wodim on DVD

  growisofs -use-the-force-luke -Z /dev/sr0=/tmp/backup.iso

  cdrskin -multi -v dev=/dev/sr0 speed=1 /tmp/backup.iso

  xorriso -as cdrecord -multi -v dev=/dev/sr0 speed=1 /tmp/backup.iso

These programs can keep nearly all DVD media appendable.
Only with DVD-R DL and fast blanked DVD-R they cannot.

All three have speed selection options. But speed 1 is not possible
with any DVD drive i tested so far. Lowest speeds are 2x resp. 2.4x.
DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, and formatted DVD-RW do not obey any speed setting.
It does not harm to give unrealistic speed values. Programs and
drives will negociate speed anyway.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas