[Debburn-devel] Error message for command "readom -fulltoc dev=/dev/dvd"

George Danchev danchev at spnet.net
Sat Jul 14 13:54:35 UTC 2012

On Saturday 14 July 2012 14:59:52 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I guess it is a typo and you meant:
> > 43 00 02 as given in the log, or you really mean 42 00 02?
>
> 43 was meant. (There is no 42 in my list of SCSI commands.)
>
> > the readom source surely indicates that DVD is also meant to be read:
> > but it can be buggy as well?
>
> Nobody ever raised protest here, when i repeatedly stated in the past
> that the DVD and BD capabilities of cdrkit are not state-of-the art.

There is no point of raising protest if you wholeheartedly agree with such a
statement.

> I would advise dvd+rw-tools, e.g.:
>
>   dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrw
>
> or my own programs
>
>   cdrskin -v dev=/dev/cdrw -minfo
>
>   xorriso -outdev /dev/cdrw -toc

Likewise, agreed.... and it is very nice we have these recommendations srted
out in the Debian CD FAQ proper [1], but I wonder whether it would make sense
to file a permanent (severity:normal) bug against cdrkit so that people are
aware of its DVD/BD capabilities. Of course, someone blogging about
alternatives like xorriso would also be helpful.

[1] http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-unix

> readom will not be able to produce the Table-Of-Contents as of CD
> by reading a DVD or BD:
>
>  Read  speed:  7056 kB/s (CD  40x, DVD  5x).
>  Write speed:  1764 kB/s (CD  10x, DVD  1x).
>  TOC len: 81. First Session: 1 Last Session: 1.
>  resid: 1
>  01 14 00 A0 00 00 00 00 01 00 00
>  01 14 00 A1 00 00 00 00 01 00 00
>  01 14 00 A2 00 00 00 00 03 19 25
>  01 14 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
>  01 54 00 B0 05 37 25 03 4F 3B 4A
>  01 54 00 C0 66 00 9C 00 61 1A 41
>  01 54 00 C1 48 34 78 00 00 00 00
>  Lead out 1: 15262
>
> MMC describes the meaning of these 7 entries as "TOC Track Descriptors".
> libburn uses them to get info about tracks on CD.
> Useful for learning about Table-of-Content are:
>  01 14 00 A0 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 -> first track number is 1
>  01 14 00 A1 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 -> last track number is 1
>  01 14 00 A2 00 00 00 00 03 19 25 -> disc ends at 3 min 25 sec 37 frames
>  01 14 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 -> track 1 starts at 0 min 2 sec 0 frames
>
> The other three records are about exotic stuff which i only understand
> in part.
>
> The specs clearly state that no DVD or BD will return such raw data.
> readom would have to fake them from other info.

Fine. Let me, summarize: I believe that initially the asker didn't know of any
alternatives (not his fault of course, but ours:), since only readom and wodim
were mentioned in comparison loop. I hope this will be rectified soon.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>