[Debburn-devel] Error message for command "readom -fulltoc dev=/dev/dvd"

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Jul 14 14:36:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

> I wonder whether it would make sense
> to file a permanent (severity:normal) bug against cdrkit so that people are
> aware of its DVD/BD capabilities.

To my estimation, cdrkit is well ok with CD media.
It is quite ok with DVD-R and DVD-RW if one wants to write one session
and then close the medium (DAO).
With the rest of the DVD/DB media or with multi-session on DVD/BD,
it is courageous to use cdrkit.

> I believe that initially the asker didn't know of any alternatives

At least Andreas knew about wodim -toc, which delivers a halfways
realistic answer (if one ignores "-1:59:74" which had nearly two
rollovers of the 100 minute CD address space).

Andreas, did our discussion bring the desired insight ?

If you are interested in the dirty details of CD Table-of-Content,
then the bad news is that they are not available on DVD or BD.
The good news would be that dvd+rw-mediainfo tells in a quite raw
way what MMC allows to learn about DVD. Most terms printed by that
program can be found directly in the specs. You need MMC-3 or higher.
Current is MMC-6.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas