[Debburn-devel] genisoimage and exec bit preservation

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Sat Sep 22 01:52:48 UTC 2012

Hey list,

Maybe I'm just not doing right, but I can't seem to get genisoimage to
produce a UDF image and preserve the exec bit.

$ genisoimage --version
genisoimage 1.1.11 (Linux)

$ echo "echo 'Hello world'" > script.sh

$ chmod +x script.sh

$ ./script.sh
Hello world

$ genisoimage -input-charset utf-8 -r -udf -volid minimal -o minimal.iso
script.sh
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 250
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 0
420 extents written (0 MB)

$ mkdir mount
$ sudo mount minimal.iso $PWD/mount -o ro,loop -t udf

$ ls -l script.sh mount/script.sh
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 19 Sep 21 18:40 mount/script.sh
-rwxrwxr-x 1 kip  kip  19 Sep 21 18:40 script.sh

You'll note in the last command that script.sh was executable at the
time it was injected into the image, but does not appear to be inside of
the mounted image.

Is this a bug in genisoimage, a problem with the way I am mounting the
image, or a problem in my usage of genisoimage?

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred