[Debburn-devel] Building the EFI bootable image with large init.rd

Alexandre Denissov adenisov at novell.com
Tue Sep 25 14:26:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am using genisoimage tool for building linux bootable CD that can boot on EFI firmware

I noticed that if I my EFI boot image is bigger than 50 MB (give or take), I am getting an error during the boot process. If  the image size is smaller than 50 MB, everything is working fine.
The screen looks like this:

ELILO boot:...

bzimage.c(line 198): Could not read boot sector from vmlinuz
elilo.c(line84): Cannot find a loader for vmlinuz
 unsuccessful.

I realize that there are a lot of variables that can be different from my environment to yours, but I was just curious if you have seen this type of errors?
Is there any size limitation as for the EFI boot image or for the linux ramdisk that can be stored inside the image?

This is the command line that I use for building the iso:
sudo /usr/local/bin/genisoimage -U -A "PREFI" -V "PREFI" -J -r -v -T -debug -o ../efiiso.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -e isolinux/efiboot.img -no-emul-boot

Thanks,
Alex