[Debburn-devel] Problem using genisomage

Adam Kalinowski adam.kalinowski at ingg.com
Thu Apr 3 11:07:27 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas

Please find attached.

Adam Kalinowski

From: Thomas Schmitt [scdbackup at gmx.net]
Sent: 03 April 2014 11:11
To: debburn-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
Cc: Adam Kalinowski
Subject: Re: Problem using genisomage

Hi,

would it be a violation of copyright if you cut off the first
64 KB of each ISO image and send them directly to me ?

  dd bs=2048 count=32 if=windows.iso of=windows_first_64k

As quotation for scientific purposes resp. as work of criticism
it might be legal. I assure that i will not use it to boot an
operating system.

> 1. ORIGINAL FILE
> Data preparer id: MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (425) 882-8080
> El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 19
> 3. MODIFIED FILE
> Data preparer id: XORRISO-1.2.4 2012.07.20.130001, LIBISOBURN-1.2.4, LIBISOFS-1.3.0, LIBBURN-1.3.2
> El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 1844562
>         Bootoff 401 1025

So a new El Torito boot record was written, which points to a new
Boot Catalog at LBA 1844562. This new boot catalog points to the
old unaltered Boot Image file at LBA 1025. As far as visible,
there are no other differences to the original image.

Except, of course, the "Data preparer id:".
This is a field in the PVD (superblock) which has no special meaning
for booting or reading data. Maybe etfsboot.com wants to see a
particular text in there.

> This one stops saying "CDBOOT: Couldn't find BOOTMGR"

I would assume that this message stems from the file etfsboot.com.
Can you verify this by e.g.

  strings etfsboot.com | fgrep CDBOOT

In this case the boot image would have started and then lost its way.

It could of course as well stem from the virtual BIOS.
In that case, the boot catalog would not have been found or not
have pointed the BIOS to the boot image file etfsboot.com.

> When I tried with second approach (adding autounattend to DVD). It did not
> boot saying "FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted".
> Below screen dump

I don't see a xcreen dump.
"System halted" looks like some system has come up. It seems to
have gotten more far than the previous boot attempt.

It would be interesting to see from which file in the ISO this
message stems. 3.6 GB to search ...

If plan B fails, then you may try what happens if you set the
Data Preparer field to the original value:

  xorriso -boot_image and keep -dev windows.iso \
          -preparer_id 'MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (425) 882-8080' \
          -map /winiso/autounattend.xml /autounattend.xml

Further you could try to also transplant the first 32 KB
from original to manipulated image (if there is anything but
0-bytes in it).

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MessageLabs.