[debhelper-devel] debhelper updates

Niels Thykier niels at thykier.net
Wed Apr 12 11:21:00 UTC 2017

Igor Kozhukhov:
> Hello,

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your work and interest in debhelper.

> i have DilOS - http://www.dilos.org <http://www.dilos.org/>
> it is illumos based platform where i have ported APT/DPKG
>
> i do some updates on my platform bsed on debian mainstream - right now from stretch
>
> i do mirror of some components to bitbucket and i see updates.
>
> i see update to debhelper:
> https://bitbucket.org/dilos/debhelper/commits/ea1b656f937c60f0d06d5272c149cb873b7d8ac6 <https://bitbucket.org/dilos/debhelper/commits/ea1b656f937c60f0d06d5272c149cb873b7d8ac6>
>
> where you point to use —runstatedir=/run - but it mistake on DilOS - where i have SMF as service manager - not systemd.

Please note that /run is:
 * supported by the Debian policy[1]
 * blessed by FHS 3.0[2]

In both cases, /run replaces /var/run.  A quick fix would be to make
/run a symlink to /var/run (or vice versa, which is what Debian did).

[1]  https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-fhs

[2] http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s15.html

> i have no provided my updates to APT/DPKG and others debian tools because work still in progress on updates and i’m working on updates by my free time only.
>
> if it is possible - could you please do not lock tools to systemd specific and some specific changes mark if systemd defined?
> it can help to me with my futures ports/updates - do to hack tools for my build env and use upsmtreamed tools.
>
> bets regards,
> -Igor
>
> [...]

I am happy to consider some method for derivatives to change debhelper's
defaults but I don't have a design for that yet.  One of the things we
need is that debhelper does the right thing by default for Debian and
derivatives without the packager have to deal with it.

I know of other derivatives that would be greatly helped by this.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to prioritize that in the spare time
I use for debhelper.

Thanks,
~Niels