[Debian-arabic-packages] The future of aspell-ar package

Lior Kaplan kaplan at debian.org
Mon Oct 2 23:17:21 UTC 2006

Since no answered the mail, I'll start with my opinions.

Lior Kaplan wrote:
> Issues for decision:
> 1. Should we ship an aspell-ar package in Etch.

Of course we should, and I think of the users as a reason. I prefer that
they will have something to spell check with than not having it at all.

I think we should do a -2 package any way. Mohammed - can you send me
the changes you've done, so I could import the source package and the
change to the svn?

> 2. If yes to #1, which word lists should we use.

Well, I've mailed Ethan Bradford regarding the status of the word lists
in the official Aspell site (they were released two months ago). He told
me their work on this subject in Google was shut down, and there isn't
any new release pending.

So it seems that we have a very large dictionary, but without a future
(at least right now). Or a small one with an active maintainer. I would
go for the second one, and try to have it in the Aspell website (they
can host more the one word lists) and to extend its word list count.

> 3. There's an option to package both.

I don't think so with out seeing more work done on the large dictionary.
Unless someone asks for this directly.

--

Lior Kaplan
kaplan at debian.org

GPG fingerprint:
C644 D0B3 92F4 8FE4 4662  B541 1558 9445 99E8 1DA0