[Debian-arabic-packages] The future of aspell-ar package

Mohammed Sameer msameer at foolab.org
Sat Oct 7 16:53:15 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 05:55:59PM +0200, Lior Kaplan wrote:
> Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 01:17:21AM +0200, Lior Kaplan wrote:
> >> Since no answered the mail, I'll start with my opinions.

> >> Of course we should, and I think of the users as a reason. I prefer that
> >> they will have something to spell check with than not having it at all.
> >>

> > Even if it contains some errors ?
>
> I can't check the percentage of errors, but I guess we should call for
> people to help sorting them out. Arabeyes sounds like a good place to start.

I doubt. The list is huge and it'll take years to review it.
The ayaspell-dic decided not to base their dictionary on it after reviewing it because
it's huge and its structure isn't easy. It's also based on "on-line corpora" which
makes the possibility of errors increase.

> >> I don't think so with out seeing more work done on the large dictionary.
> >> Unless someone asks for this directly.
> >
> > well, Considering that mine and the one by google contain errors but the one by
> > google has a lot of words and cover the language better. I guess we should package
> > their work ?
>
> Fine. I think I would package the Google list as aspell-ar-large and let
> the users decide. Since the it's such a large list it will slow most
> applications that use this list.

I've noticed that aspell is a bit slow. OpenOffice also suffers a 90 (or was it 200) MB
memory increase when it loads that list (After converting it to the myspell format).

I'd like to help with packaging this one. Will check it tonight if we agree on packaging
it.

--
GNU/Linux registered user #224950
Proud Egyptian GNU/Linux User Group <www.eglug.org> Member.