[Debian-coldfire-devel] Re: Creation of #debian-68k on irc.debian.org (OFTC)

Ingo Juergensmann ij at 2006.bluespice.org
Mon Jun 19 07:34:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 09:32:10PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> Whether or not m68k is a release candidate for etch depends largely on
> whether or not we can get caught up and stay caught up.
> Apparently that means we need more fast buildds and more porters.

It would be nice to have all buildds running again that we already have
(i.e. akire). I'll contact Roman Z. if he agrees to run a buildd on shaihulud
as well.

> We can certainly use people willing to work on the toolchain (we've had
> bugs open for years), but perhaps even more important is that we need
> someone (or better, several people) managing the bugs for m68k gcc and
> upstream.

I think we should really move from m68k-build to debian-68k at l.d.o now. The
benefit would that our users will become aware of the most pressing problems
and might want to help out then. When we stay on a separate list, it's
somewhat like hiding/covering some problems.

> This means filing good bug reports, checking against various
> compiler versions, and if you can program in c, maybe reducing test
> cases, but really that's not as important. Management and knowing the
> score with gcc is the key. Right now, that's killing us faster than
> anything else.

I still believe that we have to find a solution of those problems by not
building all and everything in archive anymore.
How about an debian-68k meeting on IRC? Such meetings seem to work fine for
other teams as well, although some m68k are already active on IRC?

> Darn, I'm ranting again. ;-)

;)

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150 at sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc