[Debian-coldfire-devel] Re: Creation of #debian-68k on irc.debian.org (OFTC)

Christian T. Steigies cts at debian.org
Mon Jun 19 08:00:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 09:32:10PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:33:50AM +0200, Aurélien GÉRÔME wrote:
>
> > I think you are all aware the m68k port can be dropped for etch
> > if nothing is done to speed up m68k buildd network at least, but
> > unfortunately, not at last. Though, I do not know for sure whether
> > we still need kernels 2.2 and 2.4 for m68k: kernel 2.6 works well on
> > my Quadra950 and on a friend's Quadra940AV. However, it seems there
> > is some toolchain work needed from what I read on that list.
>
> The 2.2 and 2.4 kernels are going to be dropped from etch -- spend the
> time on 2.6. Amiga is mostly ready for primetime. Mac mostly isn't. None
> of the other subarchs work at all as far as I know. So we'll move
> forward based on amiga and maybe mac.

How about I drop everything but amiga and mac from the official linux-images
for now? I can still cross-build all the other arches, but with just two
arches, that actually work, I would even do a native build, so we would get
header packages that work and fix a few build failures. And I could merge
mac patches that conflict with sun at the moment, so mac support might be
even better.

BTW the kernel team(?) decided that we use gcc-4.0 now for all arches, I am
not sure if that works for m68k, did anybody build a kernel with gcc-4
already?

Christian