[Debian-eeepc-devel] Free space on SSD after fresh install - and using SDHC card for /home and swap?

Sven Arvidsson sa at whiz.se
Sun Apr 27 13:37:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 15:35 -0400, Miklos Tomka wrote:
> My SSD has about 800M free after the install was
> completed (default system was installed).
>
> How much space would you all have remaining? Is there
> any way to free up a bit more?

My install takes up around 1.7 - 1.8 GB, a bit more in practise as I
also have a 512 MB swap file[0] for hibernation. If you don't plan on
using hibernation, I wouldn't worry about using swap at all.

The TipsAndTricks section[1] of the wiki have a few suggestions for
freeing up space, such as using localpurge.

If you did a standard desktop installation, you probably have much to
gain by removing packages you seldom use.

I'm guessing you also have lots and lots of packages installed to
satisfy recommends to other packages. You can remove quite a lot of
these. (If you do notice any odd behaviour or missing functionality, be
sure to check for missing recommends before filing bugs!).

> I tried to use an SDHC card for SWAP and /home, but
> the installer did not allow it (it actually locked up
> when partitioning the SD card). Is it possible to use
> the SD card for SWAP and /home?

I read somewhere (Planet Debian?) that the Eee seems to be incompatible
with a large selection of SDHC cards.

0. I decided to use a file instead of a partition so I easily could get
rid of it, should I run out of space.

1. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/TipsAndTricks

--
Cheers,