[Debian-eeepc-devel] boot halts when SD card is inside slot

Greg Eden grege at melbpc.org.au
Sat Aug 2 00:00:14 UTC 2008

You all may need a BIOS update. All the EeePCs have had issues with big
SD cards. I updated the BIOS on my 900 and have a 16gb SDHC in the slot.
The card is full of music and is never a problem. I am running Lenny.

If you look at the BIOS change logs you will see the updates have  "fix
for issues with some SD cards...."

The tricky bit is applying the BIOS updates after you have trashed
Xandros. I had to find a old 1 gb USB thumb drive, because it has to be
formatted as fat16 to apply the patch (so must be 2gb or less). Download
the updated BIOS from ASUS - appropriate to you model - and copy to the
USB drive as the only file, then restart the EeePC and boot from the
USB.

Last tip, the updated BIOS must have the correct naming convention, for
me it was xxxxxx.900, otherwise it will not be recognised as a BIOS
update. It won't necessarily have the correct name format when you first
download it (mine did not).

:)

Greg Eden
Melbourne PC User Group, Australia