[Debian-eeepc-devel] boot halts when SD card is inside slot

David L. Johnson david.johnson at Lehigh.EDU
Sat Aug 2 04:06:24 UTC 2008

Kasper Loopstra wrote:
> I'm running Lenny, and also have some issues with my 2 GB SD card.
> Everytime I boot, fsck needs to check the ext3 partition on it, and
> sometimes the FAT partition next to it will just stop being writeable.
> Even as root it won't allow writing, and re-mounting it won't fix that,
> only a reboot can. I haven't found any reasons for it, and I assumed
> either a faulty card or a faulty setup, but I thought it'd be important
> information for any bug-hunters.

As another data point, I had similar problems with my 8g sd card when I
got my eee 701.  But my problem was that I had altered /etc/fstab to
mount that disk on /home.  The problem was that suspend (at least, maybe
a re-boot too) would try to unmount the drive, but fail, and resuming
would automount the drive on /media/disk (or some such).  So, problems
would appear, and it would have to check the disk.  It had trouble with
that, too, so I would have to go through several cycles.

I now just let the system mount the drive where it wants, on /media/??,
and have all of my files under $(HOME)/stuff which is a link to that
disk.  It has worked.  I do have to be careful to not have any files
open on that disk when I suspend, or resume again fouls up.

An ideal solution would be to have suspend not unmount by default, I
think.  Most of us do not take sd disks out, and especially not while
the machine is asleep.  But for me, this way is OK.

--

David L. Johnson

It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
		--Greg LeMond