[Debian-eeepc-devel] support of 1680 * 1050 resolution over VGA of EeePC 701 4G under Debian

Sven Arvidsson sa at whiz.se
Tue Aug 5 15:04:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 16:47 +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> tomorrow I am going to install Debian on an ASUS EeePC 701 4G. While
> working at home I want to connect a 22 inch TFT-Monitor which has a
> resolution of 1680 * 1050. I have it already ordered, but it has not
> arrived yet.
>
> On the Internet I read some comments [1][2], that it depends on the BIOS
> Version and that you have to overclock the CPU (or it should not be in
> power-saving-mode).
>
> Anyway, my question are:
>
> 1. Is somebody on this list successfully using this resolution?
> 2. What BIOS version is running?
> 3. Do you think that there might be a difference between Xandros and
> Debian?
> (4. On a side note: Would you think, this is a driver issue, because if
> the resolution is demanded, then the CPU should definitely give that
> much power, in my opinion.)

It shouldn't be any problem at all. I have used this resolution on a 701
4G (BIOS revision 0801) using Debian. I don't know about Xandros.

You will need a "Virtual 2048 2048" line in xorg.conf, see
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Configure#head-5002c433e6ebf8a0a8fae6ae545cc32789bdae3f

If you go beyond a resolution of 2048 by 2048, for example by using a
large external monitor and the internal one, you will lose DRI support.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson