[Debian-eeepc-devel] support of 1680 * 1050 resolution over VGA of EeePC 701 4G under Debian

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Aug 5 15:17:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:04:59 +0200
Sven Arvidsson <sa at whiz.se> wrote:
> You will need a "Virtual 2048 2048" line in xorg.conf, see
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Configure#head-5002c433e6ebf8a0a8fae6ae545cc32789bdae3f

Ah. Thanks.  Forgot to mention that. :)

> If you go beyond a resolution of 2048 by 2048, for example by using a
> large external monitor and the internal one, you will lose DRI support.

Worse.  My experience was that this makes X crash (might be solved in a
later release of the intel driver tho -- I haven't tried again in
several months).

To solve the problem of large external + internal dimensions exceeding
2048, I have them arranged above and below instead of side-by-side so:

(1050 + 480) < 2048 (add the heights)

instead of

(1680 + 800) > 2048 (add the widths)

Because the Eee is so small, a comfortable physical arrangement matching
this logical arrangement is possible, with the Eee display placed below
the external display.  But even if you don't arrange them this way
physically, it's not too difficult to get used to.

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org